The Jardin du Luxembourg is the 2nd largest public park in Paris situated in the 6th arrondissement of Paris in France. The park is in actual the garden of the French State. It is also housing the beautiful Palace of Luxembourg. In 1611, Marie de Medicis ordered to build a palace like the Pitti Palace. She bought the hotel du Luxembourg and the construction begun. She planted around 2000 elm trees and she directed Mr. Tommaso Francini to make a park exactly like she fantasized. The Medici Fountain was hence built to the east of the palace. The park was covering an area of sixty-four hectares square.
The major part of the garden is the green parterre of gravel and there are lots of statues on the basin of water. The garden represents and shows a calm environment. There are statues of old French queens and saints on the terraces. There is a defined playground area for children and their parents. Along with cafes and extremely delicious foods offered by world-class cafes, musical performances are also presented to guests. The orangery displays photography, art, and sculpture.
The Odeon Theatre and Ecoleb Nationale Superieure des Mines de Paris are present next to Luxembourg Garden. There is also a bronze fountain which represents the efforts of four sculptors, Louis Vuillemot, Pierre Legrain, Emmanuel Fremiet, and Jean- Baptiste Carpeaux. The Medici Fountain was constructed by Marie de Medici around 1630. The architect was Tomasso Francini. He built it in the form of a grotto which is a feature representing the Italian Renaissance garden. It is centered from the east front by the Palais du Luxembourg. The long basin of water was bordered by plane trees and Polyphemus sculptures featuring the lovers’ Galatea and Acis.
Fountain de Leda is a wall fountain that was constructed during the era of Napoleon Bonaparte at the corner of Rue de Vaugirard and Rue du Regard depicting the story of Leda and the Swan.
The gardens were also featured in the popular novel of Victor Hugo Les Miserable’s.